- Future Students
- Student Resources
- About Us
- About Us
M.S. in Merchandising
Students earning a Master of Science degree in Merchandising prepares students to become leaders in the global industry as well as scholars in higher education
The 36 credit-hour Master of Science degree in merchandising offers an integrated program of study that prepares students to solve complex problems, create new opportunities in competitive markets, and to understand components that support successful consumer-driven businesses, focusing on the management of products, services, and experiences in a consumer-driven global market.
Effective leaders are developed through core competencies including solving complex problems, generating new knowledge, communicating effectively, and creating new product and business strategies. Graduate coursework in research methods, research applications, merchandising strategies, international sourcing, and consumer theory prepare students for careers in industry or higher education.
Students in the Merchandising program have various opportunities for seeking financial support and competitive awards.
- Students may apply for competitive academic scholarships and student assistant positions. An award of an academic scholarship of $1000.00 or offered a student assistant position of 20 hours a week will qualify the student for an out-of-state tuition waiver during the period of the award.
- UNT Student Financial Aid and Scholarship Office has comprehensive information on both types of Financial Aid and on Scholarships. https://financialaid.unt.edu/
- CMHT has academic competitive scholarships with an annual deadline of Feb. 1. https://cmht.unt.edu/cmht-competitive-scholarship
- UNT Student Veteran Services office has specific information on benefits related to VA Education. https://studentaffairs.unt.edu/student-veteran-services
- CMHT TA/RA application
- MDR Hourly Student Assistant
Costs of tuition and fees at UNT can be determined at https://admissions.unt.edu/tuition-costs-aid. This includes a tuition and fee calculator, which can help determine expected costs related to each semester based on full-time student status of resident or non-resident.
Fees may vary depending on the type of course taken, residency status of student, etc. https://sfs.unt.edu/explanation-fees. If you are classified as a non-resident student living outside of Texas while taking UNT courses (typically online) then an Out-of-State Teaching Fee is charged in lieu of tuition and instructional fees.
Program Objectives & Market Skills
Program Learning Objectives
Upon graduating with a Master of Science in Merchandising, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate, apply, and assess knowledge of theoretical constructs pertaining to the retail industry.
- Demonstrate the principles of critical thinking and decision-making when evaluating complex issues within the merchandising arena.
- Identify technical aspects of the retail industry.
- Apply the processes involved in merchandising/retailing/digital retailing research.
- Demonstrate professionalism, communication, and leadership skills needed for (1) managerial positions in the retail industry, and/or (2) advancement toward a terminal degree.
Marketable Skills for MS in Merchandising
- Advance merchandising knowledge
- Application of appropriate research methods
- Analyze/synthesize information from sources
- Merchandising/Digital Retailing/Retail strategic planning
- Evaluate growth/competitive strategies