- Future Students
- Student Resources
Furnishings & Décor Merchandising
The Furnishings & Décor program concentration in the Merchandising & Digital Retailing Department at UNT is one of the few programs nationwide focusing specifically on companies and careers in this innovative industry. Creativity and commerce converge as professionals constantly transform ideas into products and services that help shape and define home environments, hotel and restaurant spaces and more. This is one of the major fashion and creative industries and graduates may be involved in designing and developing, sourcing, manufacturing, and merchandising within the broad categories of furnishings and related fields. This is also the industry that designs and creates the products that architects and interior designers choose and use.
Students who complete our courses are introduced to topics related to decorative accessories, drawing and planning, computer-aided design, consumer behavior, buying, sourcing, aesthetics, furniture products and processes, fabrics and textiles, furniture selection and arrangement, and trends in interiors and furnishings. They learn marketable skills that transcend industries. Competencies in creative problem solving, written and oral communication, trend analysis, consumer behavior, and more make graduates of this program competitive in this dynamic field.
Graduates can pursue careers such as:
- Product development and design of furnishings and décor products
- Home accent and decorative accessory companies
- Home builders and home centers
- Digital retailing and e-commerce related to furnishings and décor products
- Furniture retailing
- Retail buying and planning for home décor products
- Working with manufacturers and wholesalers of furniture and accessories
- Showrooms and wholesale market centers
- Visual merchandising
- Kitchen and bath design firms
- and many more...
Corporate and Academic Partnerships