- Future Students
- Student Resources
- About Us
- About Us
CMHT Competitive Scholarship
Deadline: February 1
What you need to know:
CMHT offers a variety of general competitive scholarships. Some are open to all students in the College, others are for students in specific majors. Applicants will be considered for all College-wide competitive scholarships for which they qualify. University scholarships are also available through the UNT Scholarship Office: http://financialaid.unt.edu/scholarships/apply-scholarships
- Submitting a scholarship application does not guarantee a scholarship. These competitive scholarships are based upon availability of funds and are not renewed automatically each year.
- Applicants must reapply for scholarships each year to be considered.
- Eligible recipients may be supported no longer than 4 years for BS degree or 2 years for M.S. degree.
- Continuing undergraduate and graduate CMHT majors with a minimum overall cumulative GPA 3.0 (12 hrs.)
- Newly admitted transfer and graduate students with a minimum overall cumulative GPA 3.0
- High school students must be accepted for admission to UNT no later than February 1
- Graduate students in the process of applying to the program must have submitted their complete application to the department graduate coordinator on February 1.
Submit online application
* Before you start the application, you will need the email addresses of two or more individuals who are not related to you and who are willing to provide a reference for you (faculty members, former teachers, community leaders, or employers). Please ask them ahead of time if they are willing to provide a reference for you. If they are willing, you will only need one email address from each individual. During the application, you will enter their email address. The Scholarship System will send a link to a form to the individual.
Email - Resume & Essay
Submit a professional-looking resumé in PDF format and which includes work experience, educational background, academic honors and recognitions received, community activities such as volunteer work, leadership roles in organizations and community projects, school activities and other extra-curricular activities. At the end of the application, you will receive an email with a link for submitting your resume and essay.
Submit an essay in PDF format(maximum of 2 pages, and include headings in the essay for each bolded section below address the following statements or questions.
• Career Goals: Describe your career goals as they relate to your education. Give any other information you think would be helpful in considering your application. For example, where do you see your career 2-3 years after graduation?
• Activities and Work: Describe your involvement in activities and work that demonstrates the scope of your experiences.
• Importance of Scholarship: Why is this scholarship important to you?
CMHT advisors will check your degree audit after the completion of the fall semester to determine your cumulative GPA.
Required for first semester freshmen or students with fewer than 20 hours credit: Submit your official high school transcript; the transcript must contain an SAT or ACT score and class rank. College students must submit transcripts showing grades through the end of the semester preceding the application deadline. Send a scanned copy to CMHTScholarship@unt.edu
Maintain your Scholarship
- 3.0 overall cumulative GPA and a 3.0 GPA each semester
- Status as a CMHT major at UNT, taking required courses on degree plan and enrolled in at least two CMHT class per semester, or other appropriate number.
- Full-time student status (i.e. 12 credit hours for undergraduate student, 9 hours for graduate student). Exceptions are made only for students in the last semester before graduation.
Phone: (940) 565-2436
* Please include your scholarship application identification number in subject heading when emailing or when calling.
The College of Merchandising, Hospitality and Tourism has excellent industry support for students through significant endowments and scholarships. The College’s high profile has resulted in major gifts from companies such as Ben E. Keith, Marriott, JCPenney, Nordstrom, Fossil, and many others. Scholarship endowments exceed $1,000,000.
Scholarship awards are based on academic performance, career goals, letters of recommendation, and extra-curricular involvement. A scholarship reception is held each April to celebrate the accomplishments of award recipients with students, parents, faculty, and industry donors.A scholarship of $1,000 will waive out-of-state tuition for international students and out-of-state students for the academic year.